Sunday, August 15, 2010

New Project

Here is the Brandywine Shawl, which I finally got a good start on last night.  It's the pattern I downloaded back in June, with the designer, Romi, donating five dollars from the purchase of each pattern to relief in Haiti.  As of the beginning of August Romi has donated $14 000 from the sale of this design to Doctors Without Borders for their work in Haiti!

I like the way this pattern is written.  Romi has provided both charts and written instructions.  I tend to prefer the charts, but I'm finding that it's occasionally useful to have the line-by-line instructions available for cross-reference or to make sure I'm on the right track.  You start knitting from the bottom point, and the scalloped edges are created by a series of bound-off stitches at the beginnings of selected rows.  I've never seen this done - it's simple but effective.

The yarn I'm using is Mini Maiden from Handmaiden (daughter of Fleece Artist).  It's 50% silk and 50% wool, and is just gorgeous, and extremely soft.

Last night I was able to just about finish the second blue-striped sock while we watched Season 4 of Doc Martin on dvd.  I can't work lace and watch tv, so simple socks come in handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment