Friday, February 5, 2010

Back to Knitting

So last weekend I did pull my Hempton pullover out and got back to work on it.  I had the front, back, and half a sleeve done already, so it seemed silly to let it sit any longer when spring is definitely arriving.  I bought the Hempton yarn at last year's Okanagan Knitting Retreat.  For as long as I've been attending these retreats Lana or Kathy of Lanaknits have also attended, and sold the company's ever more appealing yarns to the captive audience of knitters.  Last year I succumbed to Hempton, which is hemp-cotton-modal blend, and it feels wonderful both to work with and to wear.  The project I am finishing up is this, in this colour, and I just have the assembly and neck edge left to do.  According to a knitting magazine we were looking at during last night's South Surrey Knitters' meeting, soft colours are in fashion this coming season.  How clever of me to have chosen this colour last May!  It's a fairly simple pattern - worked side to side in garter stitch, but I'm looking forward to wearing it.

My knitting club at school met yesterday as well.  I have a keen group, most of them grade 4 and grade 6 girls.  Lately there have been fewer beginner knitters, and yesterday I actually got a few rounds done on my Monkey sock.  This is a far cry from the days I don't even get a chance to eat my lunch, let alone do anything but cast on or pick up dropped stitches!  It's a lot of fun though.  The girls have been knitting scarves, hats, and small teddy bears, and I love seeing them show off their finished items.

I think my next big project is going to be a Rogue hoodie.  I got this pattern at my friend Celeste's urging years ago, and started it once but the gauge/yarn were wrong and didn't work out, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since.  I just feel like knitting myself a sweater, so I think this will be the one.  I'm trying to decide on the yarn for it.  I think I may go for this - KnitPicks' City Tweed, which I have been admiring since I first saw it.  I think either the Tabby or Cottontail colours would be good and versatile.  The other possibility is some undyed cream-coloured organic handspun that I bought locally.  I'll have to try a gauge swatch, because I think it may be a bit too heavy for the Rogue, which requires 18 stitches per 4 inches.  Dave's had his eye on the same yarn for a cardigan, so maybe I'll just have to go with City Tweed...

One more note - if you haven't read DanceswithWool's latest post be sure to check it out.  Her new design is absolutely gorgeous!  She is such a clever and thoughtful knitter/designer - very inspiring.

Happy weekend to everyone!

PS:  Mookie is well and healthy once more, and the car is running well with its new alternator!

No comments:

Post a Comment