Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Good Reads

I just finished the best book I've read in a long time.  I think I'm a bit late to jump on the bandwagon, but do check out The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  It's an absolutely lovely book, and the characters are written so well that they come to life as you read.  The book is impossible to put down, so be warned!

I recently finished a nonfiction book as well, that is a very different, but informative and entertaining read.  Dry Storeroom No. 1, by Richard Fortey, is a collection of behind-the-scenes anecdotes about the Natural History Museum in London.  A good read for anyone with a biological bent, or who enjoys museums.

I've linked to the books' publishers' websites, rather than to an online bookseller, deliberately.  I've read both of them as library books, but I do think I will want to own and reread the first one.  If you do go out and buy the books, please support your local independent book store!

Not much to report in knitting news.  I cast on a new pair of Monkey socks three times last night, but haven't yet gotten the result I want.  I think I'll end up using the Channel Islands cast-on, both because I want a stretchy product, and in tribute to the book I just so enjoyed.  I really like this sock pattern, and have made it three times already.  According to its popularity on ravelry I'm not the only knitter who is a fan of this pattern!  By the way, my user name on ravelry is Myknits, in case you want to check out my knitting progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment