The weather was so beautiful this past weekend that I spent a lot more time gardening than knitting! It felt so good to be out in the warm sunshine. We got most of our tomatoes in on Sunday, and the only things left to put in are the zucchini and cucumbers, and a bunch of basil transplants that we've been coddling to give them a head start. The tomatoes are surviving their transition to the outdoors nicely. I've raised them all up from seeds - four heirloom varieties - and I get pretty attached to them! Last year all of my tomato seedlings perished in an unfortunate cold spring wind in a misguided attempt to harden them off, so I'm very glad this year's flock has survived to adolescence!
tie cardi. Here it is, roughly held together with stitch holders! It shouldn't take too long to knit the sleeves (I'm doing the long-sleeved version) and put it all together, and then I can get it to its new owner in time to enjoy the warming weather.
I modified the neckband design quite a bit, and the end result looks very tidy. The instructions called for the lace band from each of the fronts to be knit until they looked long enough to meet at the centre back neck, and then bound off and sewn in place and to each other. Instead I left the neck stitches live on the back, then picked those stitches up every row as I kept knitting the bands. I grafted the band ends together at the centre back and it looks seamless, which I prefer to having seams all around.
The pattern remains very accurate, for which I commend Sirdar - I have often found pattern books like this to have some serious errors in them!
The striped sock is progressing slowly, but I'm most of the way up the leg now, so soon I'll be able to do the ribbing and then have another go at Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off (JSSBO)! It is a great bind-off for ribbing on toe-up socks. Thanks to Frauke for first showing it to me.